What is contraception?
Contraception is the technique used to prevent an unwanted pregnancy. Contraception methods are divided into natural and artificial.
What are the natural methods of contraception?
The most known methods of natural contraception are:
- Method of rhythm: Avoid sexual contact at the fertile days of your cycle.
- Breastfeeding: Nature has provided protection for the postpartum woman from an unwanted pregnancy.
It is worth mentioning that natural methods of contraception are unsafe and the chance of achieving a pregnancy is very high.
What are the artificial methods of contraception?
Artificial contraception methods are clearly safer and with much higher success rates. The suitability of each method varies from person to person and should be discussed with your gynaecologist. The most common methods are:
- Intrauterine device (IUD): It is placed inside the uterus, by a gynaecologist, at the end of the menstruation cycle and provides contraceptive protection for three to five years.
- Contraceptive pills: Combination of two hormones, oestrogen and progesterone, taken orally on a daily basis for 21 days or 28, depending on the manufacturer advice.
- Vaginal septum: A ring of diameter of 5.4 cm containing hormones like the contraceptive tablet. It is applied vaginally by the woman herself.
- The male condom: It works as a barrier, preventing sperm from reaching the vagina.
- Emergency contraception or the morning after pill: Hormonal formulation containing a high progesterone dose. Administration of this pill must be made within 72 hours after intercourse.
- Sterilisation: A surgical procedure in which the fallopian tubes are blocked to prevent fertilization. Production of female hormones, sexual desire and the cycle are not affected.
- Other methods with rare application are subdermal implants that slowly release hormones or intramuscular administration of hormones, spermicidal substances such as vaginal suppositories, creams and foam.
What could we do for you?
If you need to take responsibility of your body, but you do not really know the best way, book an appointment with Dr Maria and we are going to discuss your needs and the best method for you.
Book an appointment at our;
- London Clinic | +44 (0) 2081440336